This post may contain affiliate links.
Download these free zoo math worksheets which focus on counting, adding and subtracting, and sequencing by attribute.
Summer is a great time to focus on small academic tasks that need a little bit of extra work before the start of a new school year. It’s also a great time to gently introduce kids to new concepts in a fun way.
These zoo-themed math pages address quite a few skills that you can introduce or reinforce with your preschoolers and kindergarteners this summer.
Zoo Math Worksheets
Focus on beginning math skills with these zoo-themed preschool math worksheets. Inside this 20-page pack of free preschool printables, you’ll find the following math activities:
• Size Sequencing Cards: This pack includes five sets of zoo-themed size sequencing cards. Kids can use these in a variety of ways. You can have them order the cards from smallest to largest or largest to smallest. You can have them sort all five sets together according to size – all of the largest animals in one pile, all of the smallest animals in another, etc.
• Color By Size: This page is designed to introduce kids to a variety of attribute vocabulary words – longest/shortest, largest/smallest, etc. They’ll follow the directions in each box to color the appropriate animal.
• So Big and Short Stuff: These pages focus on attributes again. On one, kids will color the biggest animal in each set. On the other, they’ll color the smallest.
• Order By Size: Kids will cut out the flamingos at the bottom of the page. This is great for building fine motor skills. Then, they’ll paste the flamingos in the boxes ordering them from smallest to largest.
• Zoo Math: Kids will follow the directions in each box to color the appropriate number of animals.
• Count and Clip Cards: I love clip cards! They’re great for focusing on specific skills (counting in this case) while building fine motor skills (pinching the clothespins). With these cards, kids will practice counting sets from 1-12.
• Number Words: Kids will count the animals in each set and trace the number word. Be sure to have kids touch each animal as they count them to work on one-to-one correspondence.
• Addition Practice: If your kids are ready to work on beginning addition, they’re going to love these clip cards. They’ll work on addition facts from 0-5. Each card has picture cues for kids who need to visualize the math problem as they work.
• Subtraction Practice: These cards will help you introduce and reinforce subtraction facts to 5. If your child needs an extra visual cue, laminate the cards and have them cross off the number of animals “taken away”.
Z00 Animal Books
Fill your book basket with a great collection of preschool zoo animal books. Most of these books can be found at your local library or used bookstore. If you have a hard time finding them, you can order them through my Amazon affiliate links by clicking the images below.
• The View at the Zoo – With a clever twist of text and bright and festive illustrations, this picture book will have children begging for a trip to the zoo.
• My Visit to the Zoo – How would you like to travel from a tropical rain forest to the African plains, and down into a deep canyon all in one day? Then get ready for a wild trip to the zoo and up close look at all kinds of animals!
• If I Ran the Zoo – Gerald McGrew imagines the myriad of animals he’d have in his very own zoo, and the adventures he’ll have to go on in order to gather them all. Featuring everything from a lion with ten feet to a Fizza-ma-Wizza-ma-Dill, this is a classic Seussian crowd-pleaser.
Educational Zoo Resources
• 48-Piece Zoo Animals Jumbo Preschool Jigsaw Puzzles – Set includes 48 pieces of jumbo floor puzzles with vibrant and engaging illustrations in a combination of fascinating colors.
• 12 Realistic Animal Toy Figures by Educational Toys – Whether you are throwing an animal themed party, or teaching in the classroom, these animal figures are guaranteed to be a hit! Perfect for party favors, goody bags, stocking stuffers, educational toys, and more!
• Constructive Playthings Preschool Zoo Building Bricks Set – The CP Toys Preschool Zoo Building Bricks is the closest you can get to having jungle animals in your home. From elephants to lions and giraffes, this set is the most complete zoo that your neighborhood will ever see. It even includes troughs, shovels, pens, rocks, and vines.
The zoo animals are coming to your house! Enjoy this felt story board set to retell your favorite zoo story or song! Children can use the felt pieces to learn and/or identify their favorite items in the story or make their own pretend play stories. This felt set can be used for a independent play, small group activities, and for speech therapy.
Story stones are a unique and beautiful way to encourage and expand the imagination of young minds. These zoo story stones are perfect for retelling your child’s favorite zoo-themed stories.
Download Your Zoo Preschool Math Worksheets
This pack of zoo math worksheets is only available to my readers. Click the button below, enter your information, and download your printables.