Learning is more fun when it’s hands-on. Ditch the worksheets and engage your young learners with this collection of over 100 hands-on preschool activities for math, literacy, and science.
I had one child who loved workbooks, lapbooks, and printables of all kinds. My other two, however, would whine and cry anytime I put a sheet of paper in front of them. So, I was always on the hunt for hands-on preschool activities to introduce and reinforce learning skills.
If you’ve got a hands-on kid like mine, this amazing collection of preschool activities is just what you need to homeschool your preschoolers without worksheets and tears. Scroll down to explore this growing collection of hands-on ideas for teaching math, science, and literacy.
Hands-On Preschool Activities
How to Teach Math Without Worksheets
• 20 Hands-On Activities for Learning Colors – These fun hands-on activities for learning colors are such a great way to teach and reinforce preschool and kindergarten concepts. From sorting and matching to homemade games, there are so many fun activities here!
• 30 Hands-On Preschool Math Activities – Ditch the workbooks and printables! Teach counting, math facts, and more with these hands-on preschool math activities.
• How to Practice Addition Plastic Easter Eggs – Come discover how your students can practice addition facts with plastic Easter eggs! This activity is perfect for your spring homeschool lessons.
• 5 Ways to Teach Preschool Math with Marshmallows – Are you looking for hands-on ways to teach preschool math? Discover seven hands-on ideas for teaching math with marshmallows!
• How to Teach Preschool Numbers and Counting with Straws – Come discover a fun way to teach preschool numbers and counting with straws and toilet paper tubes. This simple, hands-on activity is the perfect preschool math activity.
• Hands-On Sequencing Activities for Preschoolers – Being able to sequence is an important skill for math and reading. Discover hands-on sequencing activities for preschoolers that are perfect for building a strong foundation.
• Hands-On Number Recognition and Counting Activities – There’s no better way to teach and reinforce number recognition and counting than with hands-on activities. These counting activities and number recognition games are perfect for toddlers and preschoolers.
• 22 Preschool Activities to Teach Shapes – Discover more than 20 engaging preschool activities to teach and reinforce shapes! Low-prep, hands-on fun for little ones.
• Simple Hands-On Counting Activity for Preschoolers – Use your child’s favorite toys to help them count to twenty. This hands-on counting activity will keep preschoolers engaged for a long time.
• Counting Fun with Johnny Appleseed for Preschoolers – Young learners will have fun practicing their counting skills with this free activity featuring Johnny Appleseed for preschool.
Hands-On Science for Preschoolers
• 20 Spring STEM Activities for Preschoolers – Introduce springtime STEM into your homeschool preschool lessons with this amazing collection of 20 STEM activities for kids.
• 22 Ideas for Gardening with Kids This Spring and Summer – There are so many benefits to gardening with kids. With this amazing collection of ideas and activities, your kids can learn about plants, try new foods, and tend their own garden spots.
• Skittles Candy Science Project – I love being able to incorporate the holidays into our homeschool lessons. This easy candy science project is perfect for St. Patrick’s Day!
• 22 Easy STEM Activities for St. Patrick’s Day – Discover 22 easy STEM activities for kids that are perfect for St. Patrick’s Day! Find Skittle science, walking rainbows, catapults and more in this collection.
• 5 Hands-On Ways to Celebrate Learn About Butterflies Day – Spring is the best time of year to learn about butterflies. If you’re lucky, you’ll be able to watch the entire life cycle. Come discover how you can celebrate Learn About Butterflies Day!
• How to Make a Rain Cloud in a Jar – Making a rain cloud in a jar is a great way to explore weather with your preschoolers and young learners. They’ll see up close how clouds make rain.
• How to Prepare for a Preschool Nature Walk – Do your preschoolers love being outdoors? Do they love exploring nature? If so, they’re sure to love taking a nature walk with you. Don’t forget to print out your scavenger hunts before you go.
• 5 Simple Summer Science Experiments for Kids – Combat summer boredom with five simple science experiments for kids. They’re perfect for summer, and they’re engaging for preschoolers and big kids alike.
• Kids’ Science Experiments in a Jar – Engage your preschoolers this summer with one or more of these jar science experiments! Easy science experiments for young learners!
• How to Make Frozen Sidewalk Chalk – Follow this simple recipe for homemade frozen sidewalk chalk for kids. You’ve likely got the ingredients in your pantry, and your kids will have a blast!
• How to Make a Frog Life Cycle Candy Science Craft – Follow this simple tutorial to make a frog life cycle candy science craft! Bring science to life with this fun, educational activity.
• 20 Science Activities for Your Apples Preschool Theme – It’s time to gear up for back to school. Add one or more of these science activities to your apples preschool theme. The kids will love it!
• 20 Leaf-Themed Science Activities for Preschoolers – As the leaves begin to change colors this autumn, it’s a great time to explore leaves with these engaging leaf-themed science activities for preschoolers.
• Honey Bee Life Cycle Activities – Honey bees for kids! Get ready to learn this this spring and summer with these fun, hands-on honey bee life cycle activities for preschoolers.
• Engaging, Hands-On Activities Exploring Bees for Kids – Engaging, hands-on activities exploring bees for kids! Kids will love learning about honey bees with these fun facts and hands-on activities.
• Fall Fun Science Experiments for Preschoolers – Pumpkins, apples, leaves, and more! Come discover 20 engaging fall fun science experiments for preschoolers!
• How to Make Magic Treasure Rocks – Come learn how to make magic treasure rocks with your kids. Kids will have tons of pirate-y science fun for Talk Like a Pirate Day (or any day)!
Hands-On Literacy for Preschoolers
• Simple Name Recognition Activity for Preschoolers – Being able to recognize their name in writing is such an important skill for little ones. This Find My Name – A Quick and Easy Name Recognition Activity will help your child be able to quickly recall their name and memorize how it looks.
• 5 Hands-On Ideas for Teaching Letter Sounds – It’s too easy to get caught in the drill and kill approach to letter sounds. But teaching phonics shouldn’t be dull. Use these 5 techniques and have a blast teaching letter sounds!
• Secret Message Name Recognition Activity – You won’t believe how easy it is to set up this “secret message” name recognition activity for your preschoolers! They’ll have so much fun making the secret message appear, and learn to recognize their name at the same time.
• 5 Tips for Teaching the Alphabet to Preschoolers – Teaching the alphabet to preschoolers doesn’t have to be intimidating. Just use these simple tricks and have fun in the process!
• Learn and Move: Action Words Bean Bag Toss Game – Set up this educational bean bag toss game! It’s a great way to help kids learn action words (verbs) and build gross motor skills at the same time.
• 30 Letter Recognition Activities for Preschoolers – Letter recognition is an important preschool skill and a building block for beginning readers. Discover an amazing collection of more than twenty letter recognition activities for preschoolers.
• Johnny Appleseed Letter Matching Game – This fall, use this free printable Johnny Appleseed letter matching game to teach and reinforce letter recognition with your preschoolers.
• Simple Hands-On Letter Matching Game for Preschoolers – You won’t believe how easy it is to set up this hands-on letter matching game for preschoolers. Kids will work on letter recognition and motor skills, as well.
Hands-On Preschool Activities for the Holidays
• 5 Education Activities for National Jelly Bean Day – Do your preschoolers love jelly beans? Then you’ll be delighted to know that April 22nd is National Jelly Bean Day! Come discover five educational activities you can do with jelly beans.
• Hands-On Educational Activities for Valentine’s Day – This collection of hands-on, educational preschool Valentine activities will keep your young learners engaged for hours!
• 7 Ways to Celebrate National Strawberry Day – Did you know that February 27th is National Strawberry Day? It’s a wonderful day to enjoy some strawberries and enjoy thinking about spring!
• 24 Educational Activities for St. Patrick’s Day – This collection of hands-on educational activities for St Patricks Day is sure to inspire and engage your preschoolers and kindergarteners for hours.
• 20 Pool Noodle Ideas for Preschool Playing and Learning – Don’t let summer stop you from teaching your preschoolers. These pool noodle ideas are perfect for making your homeschool preschool lessons so much fun!
• 30+ Summer Sensory Bins for Preschoolers – Encourage sensory exploration this summer by creating these awesome summer sensory bins! Themes include oceans, gardens, and so much more!