This post may contain affiliate links.
Groundhog Day is the perfect theme for teaching basic mathematical concepts like counting, number recognition, number order, shapes, and more!
With our Groundhog Day math worksheet, your little one will have a blast learning these important skills.
Our Groundhog Day activities are designed to be both educational and entertaining. They feature cute groundhog illustrations that will capture your child’s attention while helping them learn essential math skills.
Download our free Groundhog Day Math Worksheets now and get started on teaching your preschooler some valuable math skills today!
Our free preschool printables offer preschoolers a fun and entertaining way to learn some of the most important basic mathematical concepts.
With these engaging activities featuring cute groundhog illustrations, your child can develop essential math skills while having fun.
Jumpstart your child’s math journey today with our Groundhog Day Math Worksheets!
Groundhog Day Math Worksheets
These Groundhog Day worksheets include a variety of worksheets designed to help preschoolers practice important math skills.
- Groundhog Day Math printable
Completing the Worksheets
Download and print the worksheets. If you’d like to make them reusable, you can laminate them or slip them in a dry-erase pouch.
Introduce your desired worksheet to the students, explaining that they will be working on basic skills with a fun groundhog-themed twist.
Be sure to check periodically to see if your children have any questions as they complete the activity.
Addressing the questions as they arise can decrease the chances of kids making blunders across their entire worksheet.
Once your students have finished the worksheets, review the answers together as a class so you can discuss mistakes that may have been made along the way.
What Skills Are Covered?
Roll & Color – Students will roll two die and add the dots. Then, they’ll color the groundhog that matches the number.
Color by Number – Preschoolers will use the code to color the groundhog picture.
Ten Frames – Kids will count the suns on each ten frame and color the matching number.
Missing Numbers – Students will write the missing numbers to complete each sequence from 1-10.
Shape Sorting – Kids will cut and paste 2D shapes into the correct column.
Fun Facts About Groundhogs for Preschoolers
By introducing your preschooler to fun facts about groundhogs, they’ll be more engaged and interested in the top-notch math activities featured on our Groundhog Day Math Worksheets.
- Groundhogs are also known as woodchucks and whistle pigs.
- A groundhog’s diet consists mostly of plants, but they can also eat insects, snails, and small animals.
- Groundhogs live in burrows underground that have several chambers and tunnels.
- The average lifespan of a groundhog is 6-8 years.
- Groundhogs love to eat grass, clover, dandelions, and other types of vegetation.
- Groundhogs can run up to 18 miles per hour!
- Groundhogs hibernate for four months in the winter.
Groundhog Activities for Preschoolers
In addition to working on our Groundhog Day Math Worksheets, you can also engage your preschooler with fun groundhog-themed activities!
Here are a few ideas:
Make an edible model of a groundhog burrow. Have your little one use pretzel sticks and peanut butter to build the tunnels and chambers.
Go on a scavenger hunt for groundhog clues. Place items around your house or backyard that are related to groundhogs and have your preschooler find them!
Create an exploration box with different objects that represent a groundhog’s habitat, such as small rocks and sticks. Let your child explore and investigate the contents of the box.
Play a game of “Groundhog Says”. Follow the same rules as “Simon Says”, but replace all references to Simon with Groundhog!
By combining fun facts about groundhogs and engaging activities with our unique Groundhog Day Math Worksheets, your preschooler will have a blast learning about the wonderful world of math.
Groundhog Books for Kids
Introduce your preschooler to these wonderful books and they’ll soon learn that learning math can be fun!
– Groundhog’s Day Off by Robb Pearlman – Every year, people ask Groundhog the same, boring old question. Is spring around the corner? Or are we doomed to more winter? Sure, they care about his shadow, but what about him and his interests? He’s had enough! Groundhog packs his bags and sets out for a much-needed vacation.
– Groundhog Day! by Gail Gibbon – In Groundhog Day!, children’s nonfiction master Gail Gibbons delves into the history behind this unusual holiday, and examines the ancient traditions that evolved into our modern holiday.
– Grumpy Groundhog by Maureen Wright – It’s Groundhog Day, and everyone is gathered to find out if it’s time for spring. But Groundhog does NOT want to leave his cozy bed in his cozy den. Will the townspeople be able to coax him outside to do his job?
More Groundhog Printables
- Groundhog Day Color by Number
- Groundhog Day Printable
- Groundhog Day Worksheets
- Groundhog Headband Craft with Free Template
- Groundhog Day Activities or Kids
More Groundhog Activities
- Groundhog Cookie Cutter – can be used for playdough or for a tasty Groundhog Day cookie treat!
- Happy Groundhog Day tee
- Printable Groundhog Day Bingo Game
Our Groundhog Day Math Worksheets, combined with fun facts about groundhogs and engaging activities, will help your preschooler learn basic mathematical concepts in a way that’s both exciting and enjoyable. With the right resources at hand, you can make learning math into an adventure!
Don’t forget to check out our other printables and activities for more educational ideas as well. We hope you have lots of fun teaching your little one all about groundhogs this season!