This post may contain affiliate links.
February 2nd is Groundhog Day!
On Groundhog’s Day, February 2, the nation watches as Puxatawny Phil emerges from his burrow to predict our weather. If he sees his shadow, there will be six more weeks of winter. If he doesn’t, spring is just around the corner.
There are so many fun ways to incorporate Groundhog’s Day into your daily lesson plans and activities. What a great addition to your animal activities for preschool!
From math and science to reading and crafts, pull some activities from the lists below to have some groundhog learning fun!
Groundhog Day Worksheets
I’ve created a fun little winter printable for preschool. In this 20-page printable pack, you’ll find the following activities to entertain your kiddos:
• Skip counting puzzles – Print puzzles on cardstock and laminate for durability. Cut apart the puzzles and have children reassemble them in number order.
• Letter hunt – Children will search for the letters G and g.
• Handwriting practice – Trace the letters and words on the page.
• I Spy – Count the objects and write the numbers on the lines.
• Roll and stamp – Kids will roll two die and add the dots. Then, they’ll find the coordinating number on the sheet and mark it with a dot marker.
• Coloring pages – There are nine coloring pages in this pack. Each has a large graphic for kids to color and a sentence for kids to trace.
• and more…
PRESCHOOL BOOKS ABOUT GROUNDHOG DAY
Fill your book basket with a great collection of books about Groundhog Day. Most of these books can be found at your local library or used bookstore.
If you have a hard time finding them, you can order them through my Amazon affiliate links by clicking the images below.
Grumpy Groundhog – It’s Groundhog Day, and everyone is gathered to find out if it’s time for spring. But Groundhog does NOT want to leave his cozy bed in his cozy den. Will the townspeople be able to coax him outside to do his job?
Groundhog Day! – Every year on February 2nd, people all across America watch groundhogs come out of their burrows– especially in the town of Punxsutawney– trying to figure out if the weather will stay cold, or begin to warm up. In Groundhog Day!, children’s nonfiction master Gail Gibbons delves into the history behind this unusual holiday, and examines the ancient traditions that evolved into our modern holiday.
The Night Before Groundhog Day – The anticipation is building: Will the groundhog see his shadow? Will there be six more weeks of winter? Get ready for this festive occasion with the countdown to Groundhog Day in this fun, rhyming story told in the style of Clement C. Moore’s holiday poem.
Kids will love making this cute paper plate Groundhog’s Day Craft for Kids!
Treat your friends and students to a special Groundhog Day surprise with these cute candy cards.
Download Your Printables
This Groundhog Day worksheet pack is only available to my readers. Click the button below, enter your information, and download your printables.