This post may contain affiliate links.
Follow this simple tutorial to make a frog life cycle candy science craft! Bring science to life with this fun, educational activity.
One of the things on my homeschool mom bucket list is to raise tadpoles. We’ve raised caterpillars and watched them transform into beautiful butterflies. I’d love to do the same with tadpoles one day.
If you’re teaching about frogs or your preschoolers are fascinated with frogs, share this fun activity with them.
Frog Life Cycle Candy Science Activity
Your preschoolers won’t forget the life cycle of a frog after they made their own 3-D life cycle model with candy!
What You’ll Need
• white paper plate
• black marker
• 1 Tbsp. vanilla frosting
• 2 gummy worms
What You’ll Do
Paint the rim around the plate green. Leave the center white. Then, let the paint dry.
To make the tadpole, cut a gummy worm in half for the tail. Stick a gum ball on the end for the head.
To make the froglet, cut the front legs off a frog gummy. Stick half of a gummy worm on the back end for its tail.
Use a black marker to draw 2 lines on the white part of the plate so it splits the plate evenly into four sections.
In each section of the plate write one word: eggs, tadpole, froglet, and frog.
In the “egg” section, put a dollop of frosting on the plate. Stick a little pile of white candy all over it.
In the “tadpole” section, put a little dot of frosting and stick the tadpole on.
In the “froglet” section, put a little dot of frosting and stick the froglet on.
In the “frog” section, put a little dot of frosting and stick a whole frog on.
What a fun learning craft for kids!
Books About Frogs
Fill your book basket with a great collection of preschool books about frogs. Most of these books can be found at your local library or used bookstore. If you have a hard time finding them, you can order them through my Amazon affiliate links by clicking the images below.
• Frogs | Their tadpole beginnings, noises they make, body parts and how they live.
• Tadpole to Frog | Created in conjunction with the world-famous American Museum of Natural History, Tadpole to Frog features graduated tabs that show the entire transformation in isolated, easy-to-follow parts. With simple text, the stunning nature photography is what truly shines in this book.
• The Frog Alphabet Book | A is for Amazon Horned Frog. B is for Blue-legged Strawberry Frog. C is for Crested Newt. What other amphibians can you think of? Learn more about these sometimes cute, sometimes dangerous, but always fascinating animals in THE FROG ALPHABET BOOK.
Frog Life Cycle Resources
• Safari Ltd Life Cycle of a Frog | This fascinating Safari Ltd. set contains five pieces, each showing a different stage in the development of a frog.
• Learning Resources Giant Magnetic Frog Life Cycle | Help students visually explore the life cycle of a frog
• Wooden 5 Layer Frog Life Cycle Puzzle | Each layer shows a stage of frog life cycle from spawn to tadpole, to big tadpole then young frog finally becoming a adult frog.
• LIVE Frog Growing Kit | Kids get hands-on experience with the frog life cycle! Kit includes: 1 Gallon Tank, free certificate to redeem for 1 Live Tadpole, tadpole food, water treatment solution, water change cup, plastic plant, life-cycle coloring page, and easy instructions