This post may contain affiliate links.
Inspired by the ocean and perfect for summer! Kids can make this adorable seahorse art project with colored paper and bubble wrap. Perfect to do alongside Mr. Seahorse by Eric Carle.
Seahorses are fascinating, aren’t they? They are one of my favorite exhibits at the aquarium. I love watching them bob back and forth in the water. If your kids are fascinated by seahorses, too, they’re going to love this brand new art project I’m sharing with you today.
Summer Seahorse Art Project
The best part about this art project is that it will really help your preschoolers build fine motor skills as they cut the paper strips and weave them to create the seahorse.
Let me show you how easy it is to make this seahorse.
What You’ll Need:
• Template – (Free template available at the end of this post)
Paint a large piece of bubble wrap with shades of blue paint.
Turn the bubble wrap over and place onto white paper.
Press firmly all over the bubble wrap.
Pull up the bubble wrap.
Allow the paint to dry completely.
Download the seahorse template and print out. You can find the template at the end of this post. Cut the template out. Trace the seahorse onto colored cardstock and cut out.
Cut a large white circle and a smaller black circle.
Fold the seahorse in half and cut slits into the middle of the seahorse. Leave at least a half of an inch all the way around to avoid tearing the paper.
Cut strips of colored cardstock. Try using bold prints or textured cardstock for added fun.
Weave the colored cardstock strips in and out of the seahorse. Secure the ends with a bit of glue.
Use scissors to cut off any excess paper hanging over the sides.
Glue the eye together and then glue them onto the fish.
Glue the back fins and side fin onto the seahorse.
Use a black marker to add a smile to the fish and detail to the side fin.
Glue the seahorse onto the bubble wrap print background.
Your seahorse is finished!
Download your seahorse template. No sign up required!
Books About Seahorses
Fill your book basket with a great collection of preschool books about seahorses. Most of these books can be found at your local library or used bookstore. If you have a hard time finding them, you can order them through my Amazon affiliate links by clicking the images below.
• Mister Seahorse | A stunning picture book from Eric Carle about Mister Seahorse and other ‘male mothers’, with special acetate pages that hide fish behind rocks and reeds.
• Goodnight, Seahorse | A child’s first introduction to creatures of the sea as a seahorse makes its way home to “bed.”
• Secret Seahorse | A sea horse leads the reader past coral reefs and underwater creatures to a sea horse family hidden in a cave. Includes notes on coral reefs and various marine animals.
• I Am a Sea Horse: The Life of a Dwarf Sea Horse | I live above the coral reef and can change my color to match it. Come and ride the waves with me. I am a dwarf seahorse, and I love to take it easy.