This post may contain affiliate links.
Summer is a great time to learn about the ocean. Many families are making plans to visit a beach for their summer vacation. Other, like me, are just dreaming about it.
Whether you’re dreaming about the ocean or planning to make a trip to one, your little ones will love creating this fun ocean animals from egg cartons.
These egg carton ocean animals are perfect for summertime crafts! Kids will love decorating recycled egg cartons and turning them into their favorite sea creatures.
Egg Carton Ocean Animals
Typically, we buy eggs in styrofoam cartons, but recently, my hubby brought home a cardboard egg carton. Then, my five-year-old nephew came for a visit.
I brainstormed for an idea to entertain Isaiah one afternoon, and we came up with egg carton ocean animals. We had almost all the supplies on hand, and I picked up the rest at the dollar store.
What you’ll need:
- cardboard egg carton
- paint brushes
- googly eyes
- pipe cleaners
- constructions paper
- buttons, beads, and pom poms
I scoured Pinterest for inspiration, and then I drew the animals parts free-handed. I wasn’t too worried about the outcome of each animal as long as Isaiah was having fun.
And, he did! He worked for hours over the course of a few days to make his creatures (pictured below).
A few tips…
- I cut apart the egg carton before having Isaiah paint the cups.
- After the cups were dry, I trimmed some of them to take off the rougher edges.
- We discovered that liquid glue works better than glue sticks.
- Isaiah loved the self-adhesive googly eyes instead of gluing them on.
When he was done creating the animals I had in mind, he got creative! He went to town creating his own collection of sea monsters. Aren’t they adorable!
ENHANCE YOUR OCEAN-THEMED FUN WITH THESE ACTIVITIES:
Fun printables for multiple ages include:
- Beach Letter Find Printables
- Beach Scavenger Hunt Printables
- At the Beach Emergent Reader
- Sand Pail and Shovel Alphabet Match
- Beach Letter Dot Printables
- Beach Pail 1-20 Number Recognition
Fun ocean-themed books:
Other fun ocean-themed activities:
- Songs About the Beach
- 5 Ways to Learn at the Beach
- Colorful Sand Painting
- Sand Science Experiment
- 15 Things to Do at the Beach with Kids
- Beach Mystery Bag
More unit study fun:
Latest posts by Homeschool Preschool (see all)
- 22 Easy STEM Activities for Kids to Do for St. Patrick’s Day - February 17, 2018
- 21 Easy St Patricks Day Kid Crafts - February 16, 2018
- Easy Skittles Candy Science Project for St. Patrick’s Day - February 15, 2018