This post may contain affiliate links.
Pumpkins, pumpkins, everywhere! It’s that time of year again. Pumpkin season! I see pumpkins everywhere I go. There are pumpkin donuts, pumpkin coffees, and pumpkin shakes. There are pumpkins on porches and pumpkins at the entrance of every shopping center we enter.
If you are seeing pumpkins everywhere you go, it makes perfect sense to incorporate pumpkins into your autumn homeschool preschool lessons. It’s the perfect time of year to learn about the life cycle of a pumpkin.
Learning About the Life Cycle of a Pumpkin
Kids love to explore pumpkins. Take your little ones to a pumpkin patch and let them pick out their own pumpkin to carve or to place on the front porch for decoration. Be sure to pick up an extra one just to explore.
Let them use their five senses to explore the pumpkins:
- What does a pumpkin sound like when you thump it?
- What does the shell feel like? Is it hard or soft? Is it bumpy or smooth?
- What does the inside feel like? Is it slimy?
- What does it smell like? Does it smell the same as a cup of pumpkin pie filling?
- What does it look like? Describe its size and shape. Describe its color.
- What does it taste like? Make some muffins or pancakes. Roast the seeds for a tasty snack.
Once your little one has explored their pumpkins, talk with them about how pumpkins grow. Watch a video like this one:
Read one or more of these great pumpkin books:
Complete one or more of these fun hands-on activities:
- Plant pumpkin seeds in a clear bin and watch them sprout and grow. While you’re at it, learn about decomposition, as well.
- Here’s a smelly science lesson about decomposition with pumpkins.
- Younger learners will enjoy seeing whether pumpkins sink or float.
- We’re going to grow some pumpkins in a pumpkin and plant it in our back yard.
Download the Life Cycle of a Pumpkin Printable.
Now that you’ve done some exploring, how about a fun printable pack! Inside this fun printable pack, you’ll find the following learning activities:
- Handwriting practice
- 3-part cards
- Sequence cards
- Life cycle chart
- Label the parts of a pumpkin
- and more!
The Life Cycle of a Pumpkin Preschool Pack is ONLY available to Homeschool Preschool subscribers. Click the button below, enter your information, and then follow the instructions to download your file.