This post may contain affiliate links.
Do your kids love Jan Brett books? If so, they’re going to love this The Mitten story printable and hands-on activity! Perfect for winter homeschool lessons!
I love Jan Brett’s storytelling style, and her illustrations can’t be beat. I love that all of her stories contain a story within a story. As you read her books, be sure to explore the illustrations in the borders on each page. They foreshadow what is coming up next.
Nothing is more fun than bringing a book to life with hands-on activities. So, I’ve created a preschool printable for The Mitten.
The Mitten Story Printable
The Mitten is a great winter-time story for preschoolers and their older siblings. In the story, a young boy named Nicki wants his Baba to make him some mittens that are white as snow. She reluctantly makes him a pair, but warns they may get lost if he drops them outside.
What happens when he heads outside on a snowy afternoon? Who finds his mitten on the ground? And, what adventure does his mitten go on before he finds it?
After you’ve read The Mitten, your preschoolers will enjoy this fun hands-on sorting activity. You’ll need pompoms and construction paperto complete this activity. Trace their hands on the construction paper, and cut around it to make the shape of mittens. You can do one or two of each color.
Then, put all the pompoms in a bowl in front of your child. Ask them to sort the pompoms by color matching the pompoms to the same colored mitten.
When your kiddo is done with this activity, you can punch holes around the edges of a mitten (or more if they want). Have your child use the yarn to lace the mitten. This is a great way to let them work on their fine motor skills.
The Mitten Printable
After your preschoolers complete the sorting activity above, print out these printable activity pages. Inside this pack, you’ll find a printable lacing card and cutouts for your preschoolers to use as they retell the story. I suggest laminating them all for stability before using them.
More fun for “the mitten”
• The Mitten Close Reads, Reports, and Crafts – Mitten Research Book includes research elements and a craft for all 8 animals from this beloved book The Mitten by Jan Brett.
• Read the Room: The Mitten – The perfect language arts center to go along with your lessons for Jan Brett’s story, The Mitten. PreK, Kindergarten, and 1st grade students read and write the room, recording the familiar characters from the story. Just post the picture cards around the room, and the students become eager to record the words on their record sheet.
• The Mitten Literacy and Math Center Activities – The Mitten Literacy and Math Center Activities provide a variety of differentiated activities to meet student’s learning. Students are able to use their puppets to retell the story in their own words.
• The Mitten Literacy Extensions – The Mitten by Jan Brett has been a winter class favorite for years! This resource provides a variety of literacy extensions including centers with color and line art options and printables.
Latest posts by Homeschool Preschool (see all)
- Preschool Transportation Theme Printables - January 21, 2019
- Weather Books for Toddlers - January 20, 2019
- If You Give a Cat a Cupcake Story Sequencing Cards - January 19, 2019