If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!
This post may contain affiliate links.
If your little ones are obsessed with planes, trains, and other automobiles, you don’t want to miss this collection of our favorite transportation books for preschoolers!
My oldest used to play with his Hotwheels for hours and hours. We had a car rug, and he would line his cars and trucks up and drive around ‘town’ endlessly.
My middle son had an amazing collection of Tonka trucks. We used to take them to the park and play with them in the sandbox all the time. We would scoop and dump the sand from one spot to the next.
We watched many hours of Bob the Builder and Thomas the Tank Engine. And, when Rescue Heroes came out, it quickly became a favorite. As you can imagine, we had quite the collection of transportation-themed books on our bookshelves.
Transportation Books for Preschoolers
Backhoe Joe – A young boy tries to adopt a backhoe. When Nolan finds a stray backhoe in the street, he can’t wait to adopt it. But this backhoe is not very well behaved. As Nolan tries to train his new pet, he learns that maybe this backhoe already has a home.
HotWheels My Busy Book – An engaging storybook and toy in one activity kit! My Busy Books offer full-page illustrations, a story, 12 figurines, and a playmat that bring the characters to life and ignite your child’s imagination.
Cars and Trucks from A to Z – Illustrated in full color. This car-and- truck-filled alphabet extravaganza that starts with an ambulance and ends with a zippercar, is shaped like Lowly Worm’s applemobile.
Where Do Diggers Sleep at Night? – The bedtime rituals of little diggers and dump trucks at a construction site should be quite familar to kids saying goodnight. Young readers will identify with fire engines, tractors and monster trucks as the vehicles ask for one more story while their mommy trucks tuck them in, and their daddy trucks sing a goodnight song.
My Big Truck Book – This is the perfect book for kids who love trucks. On the big, sturdy board pages, they’ll discover bright, bold photographs of all different kinds of trucks, from farm trucks to fire trucks to construction vehicles. Each has their name written underneath, so that children can learn what they’re called, build their truck vocabulary, and start to develop word and picture association.
Sheep in a Jeep – Beep! Beep! Sheep in a jeep on a hill that’s steep.
Sheep in a Jeep is well-loved by the preschool and early-reader sets for its slapstick story of five sheep (in a jeep) and silly sound effects—especially when the jeep goes splash and thud in the mud!
Richard Scarry’s Cars
– Jump behind the wheel of this board book and hit the road with Richard Scarry’s fast and fun cars! With banana mobiles, pickle cars, police cars, cheese cars, and more, little racers will be vrooming and zooming through these pages!
Wheels on the Bus
– With wheels that go round, doors that open and shut, wipers that swish, and people that go bumpety-bump, the board book version of The Wheels on the Bus
is the perfect token for a whole new generation of readers.
Little Blue Truck
– Beep! Beep! Beep!
Meet Blue. A muddy country road is no match for this little pick up–that is, until he gets stuck while pushing a dump truck out of the muck. Luckily, Blue has made a pack of farm animal friends along his route. And they’re willing to do whatever it takes to get their pal back on the road.
A Day at the Airport
– Airplane fans will get an up-close look at the terminal, the control tower, the runway, and more! Featuring over 70 labeled words and a sticker sheet! Have hours of fun with this busy adventure from the one and only Richard Scarry!
Race Car Count
-Race car 1 honks look at me!
He zooms in front with the turn of a key.Race car 2 is close behind.
The sound of vroom
is on his mind.This simple, rhyming text is perfect for reinforcing counting with young children, and the vibrant, energetic illustrations make this a terrific package for the youngest vehicle enthusiasts.
How Cars Work
– Kids’ passion for cars has always run fast and furious, and this interactive book and kit gives enthusiastic gearheads the opportunity to build the essential parts of a car easily and independently.
– Ready to hit the road? Gear up for a nonstop parade of shapes, sizes, sounds, and even smells in a wild array of cars packed with big personalities, awesome features, and eccentric passengers.
A is for Automobiles, machines on wheels.
B is for Belts turning, fuel burning, the buzz and bark of engines.
C is for Curves and crowds and cars, of course —
A century of racecars, from bare beginnings to present-day marvels, from stock cars to Formula 1, from Ford to Ferrari, caught in crackling action, in fan-friendly pictures, and in words that bounce and jounce for the fun of it.
– A little boy has a toy boat that he made out of a can, a cork, a yellow pencil, and some white cloth. The boy and his boat are inseparable . . . until the day the wind pushes the boat out into the wide lake, and the little boat must face fierce waves, a grumpy ferry, a sassy schooner, and a growling speed boat if he is to find his way home.
If I Built a Car
– Jack has designed the ultimate fantasy car. inspired by zeppelins and trains, Cadillacs and old planes, with brilliant colors and lots of shiny chrome, this far-out vision is ready to cruise! there?s a fireplace, a pool, and even a snack bar! After a tour of the ritzy interior, Robert the robot starts up the motor . . . and Jack and his dad set off on the wildest test drive ever!
The Goodnight Train
– All aboard for Dreamland!
Hold on to your pillow because the Goodnight Train is taking off. Roll that corner, rock that curve, and soar past mermaids, leaping sheep, and even ice-cream clouds. You won’t want to miss a thing, so whatever you do, don’t . . . close . . . your . . . eyes!
I’m a Monster Truck
– Mudenstein is a good ol’ boy monster truck who loves life in the arena! See his tall tires grab the dirt as he crushes cars and takes on a fire-breathing crane. Meet his buddy Billy Wrecks and the other demolition derby boys!
– Join our wacky animal crew for the flight of a lifetime! From the airport terminal to the flight deck, the zippy text and zappy art take children through how a plane flies, safety rules, in-flight entertainment and air traffic control. This action-packed picture book will delight all children who love things that go!
– Rockets have power. They rise and roar. This rocket’s waiting, ready to soar. Rockets carry astronauts with cool, white suits oxygen helmets and gravity boots. Blast off with more out-of-this-world couplets!