This post may contain affiliate links.
This simple Veterans Day unit study is a great resource for teaching your preschoolers about the holiday, the history behind it, and how we can honor our veterans.
Veteran’s Day is next month making today a great day to teach your preschoolers about the upcoming holiday. This day is not just another holiday and/or day off school.
Veteran’s Day celebrates the end of World War I. It’s a day that we pay tribute to all of our American veterans, living and deceased, who have served our country during war and peace times.
While Memorial Day focuses on our servicemen and women who have died, Veterans Day honors them both.
Veterans Day Unit Study
There are many hands-on learning activities and crafts to teach your learners about Veteran’s Day.
- Simple American Flag Craft at Housing a Forest
- Pinwheel Poppies at Mum in the Madhouse
- Remembrance Day wreath at No Time for Flash Cards
- Easy soldier craft at Fantastic Fun and Learning
- Sponge-painted soldier at Mrs. Karen’s Preschool Ideas
- Free Patriotic Headband Template at Kinder Craze
- Scrap paper poppy craft at My Crazy Simple Life
- Veteran’s Day Songs at Mrs. King’s Music Room
- 12 Ways to Help Your Child Honor Veterans at Mom Life Today
Books for a Veteran’s Day Unit:
The Poppy Lady – When American soldiers entered World War I, Moina Belle Michael, a schoolteacher from Georgia, knew she had to act. Some of the soldiers were her students and friends. Almost single-handedly, Moina worked to establish the red poppy as the symbol to honor and remember soldiers. And she devoted the rest of her life to making sure the symbol would last forever. Thanks to her hard work, that symbol remains strong today.
Veterans: Heroes in Our Neighborhood – An engaging rhyming picture book for readers of all ages that fosters mindfulness of and appreciation for the brave service men and women who are also our family, friends, and neighbors. These are the men and women who bravely served our great country and now humbly serve in our communities.
America’s White Table – The White Table is set in many mess halls as a symbol for and remembrance to service members fallen, missing, or held captive in the line of duty. Solitary and solemn, it is the table where no one will ever sit.
The Wall – A young boy and his father visit the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
Pepper’s Purple Heart: A Veteran’s Day Story – Claire and Robbie learn why we honor veterans on Veterans Day. Claire also learns responsbility after her neighbor rescues her puppy, Pepper.
Download your Patriotic Printables.
Latest posts by Homeschool Preschool (see all)
- 22 Easy STEM Activities for Kids to Do for St. Patrick’s Day - February 17, 2018
- 21 Easy St Patricks Day Kid Crafts - February 16, 2018
- Easy Skittles Candy Science Project for St. Patrick’s Day - February 15, 2018