This post may contain affiliate links.
This adorable tissue paper preschool butterfly craft is not only pretty enough to put on display, but it’s a great way to build motor skills.
Spring is a great time to plan butterfly activities for preschoolers. As you do, be sure to include time to make fun crafts. This tissue paper craft will look adorable on display this spring, but it’s also a great way to build fine motor muscles in little hands.
Preschool Butterfly Craft
To make this butterfly craft for preschoolers, you’ll need just a few supplies you’ve likely got on hand already. If necessary, you can pre-cut the paper for your little ones. However, this is a great time for kids to practice cutting paper.
What You’ll Need
What You’ll Do
• Gather your craft papers. I like to use tissue paper, but you could use scraps of colorful wrapping paper. Cut your paper into small squares.
• Take one square at a time, and crumple it into a small ball. Continue crumpling the paper squares into balls.
• The printable butterfly template ( click here ) includes three different sizes of butterflies. Trace any size you want onto a piece of cardstock, and cut it out with scissors.
• Start to glue the crumpled paper balls onto the cut out butterfly pattern. Mix and match the colors to give the butterfly a festive look.
• Continue to glue the paper balls on the butterfly until the butterfly pattern is filled. Once you are done gluing the crumpled paper balls on the butterfly. Let the glue dry for a while.
• Take the round cut out and glue the two strips (antenna) on any one side of it. Draw the face of the butterfly on the round paper and attach it on the butterfly.
PRESCHOOL BOOKS ABOUT BUTTERFLIES
Fill your book basket with a great collection of books about butterflies. Most of these books can be found at your local library or used bookstore.
If you have a hard time finding them, you can order them through my Amazon affiliate links by clicking the images below.
Butterflies – Curious kids ages 3 to 7 will be excited to learn about the magical world of butterflies: their beauty, their importance to plant life, and their incredible metamorphosis and migration.
Pinkalicious and the Little Butterfly – Pinkalicious is so excited when Miss Penny brings monarch caterpillars to class. She makes friends with one and watches as it turns into a pinkamazing butterfly!
Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors – Lucy sees a beautiful butterfly in the garden, along with a bright green beetle, a brilliant blue dragonfly, some red ladybugs, and many more flying and crawling things. But when will the radiant butterfly appear again?
RESOURCES I LOVE
This wooden butterfly puzzle brain game will promote hand-eye coordination, develop problem-solving skills and improve matching skills. In addition, it can stimulate a child’s imagination and creativity.
This beautiful butterfly lacing toy is great for practicing the sewing motion. It’s made of solid cherry wood, and finished with my homemade organic beeswax polish. The “needle” is attached to the natural cotton “thread” to make it easy to poke through the holes.