The temperatures are dropping. After a long, hot summer, we’re enjoying the cooler days. We’ve got out windows open, and we’re enjoying being out in the backyard even more.
These fun outdoor family games are perfect for your next family game night, neighborhood block party, or just an relaxing afternoon with the kids!
Outdoor Family Games
1. Art on the Lawn | Grab an old bed sheet, and spread it out in the backyard. Give each member of the family some paint and paintbrushes, and you can work together to create a one-of-a-kind masterpiece!
2. Make a Leaf Labyrinth | Is your backyard full of fallen leaves? Or, will it be before the season is over? Create a leaf labyrinth. The whole family can pitch in to rake the leaves into the center of the yard. Then, the parents (or older siblings) can create a leaf maze for younger kids to enjoy.
3. Scavenger Hunt | Print out an autumn scavenger hunt page (or several for teams). Split into teams, and see who can find all of the items first.
4. Pebbles and Pinecones | Gather sticks and stones and other nature items on your next nature walk. Use your findings to create a nature mandala as you play Pebbles and Pinecones as a family.
5. DIY Cornhole Boards | Got a handyman amongst you? Get the gang together to build a couple of cornhole boards. Mom and/or dad can build them. Kids can decorate them or fill some pre-sewn beanbags with dry corn. Then, team up and see who wins! Not crafty? You can buy a set, and then have fun!
6. Tic-Tac-Toe | While this example has ladybugs and bumblebees, you could totally paint your pieces to resemble pumpkins, candy corns, or autumn leaves.
7. Twister | With a couple of cans of spray paint and a large open space, you can set up your own Twister game in the backyard.
8. Glow-in-the-Dark Bowling | With some glow sticks and plastic water bottles, you can set up a bowling alley in your own backyard. To make it fall-ish, use a mini pumpkin as your bowling “ball”.
9. Pumpkin Ring Toss | Grab some pumpkins and a few rings (you could use plastic bracelets), see who can “ring” the pumpkins.
10. DIY Backyard Games | Any one of these ten DIY backyard games would be perfect for an autumn family game night!
What’s your favorite outdoor family game?