Are you looking for a simple fall craft to do with your preschoolers? This Fall Leaf Family is a simple leaf craft you can with with tots and preschoolers.
The leaves are beginning to change colors and fall from the trees. We’ve had a few chilly mornings in the past week or so. It sure makes me long for the crisp fall days that will be here before we know it.
That makes it the perfect time to do some leaf-themed activities with your preschoolers. This “Leaf Family” craft is a simple leaf craft that will have your kids excited about the fall season!
These leaf puppets can be used to retell favorite fall stories like Leaf Man or The Leaves Are Falling. Kids can use them to make up their own creative stories, as well.
Use leftover leaves in your favorite fall sensory bins or more fun fall crafts.
What You’ll Need
• Red, Yellow or Orange Craft Sticks
• Decorative faux leaves (easy dollar store find!)
How to Make Your Leaf Family
1. Place a small dab of glue on one end of each craft stick, add a leaf and let dry.
2. Glue the googly eyes in place. Make them look silly or serious! Use your imagination.
3. Use the marker to draw a face. Think about the members or your family, does your sibling make a silly face that makes you laugh? Draw it!Now, allow your leaf family to dry. Use them as puppets to retell stories. Use them as props to sing Five Little Leaves.
PRESCHOOL BOOKS ABOUT LEAVES
Fill your book basket with a great collection of books about leaves. Most of these books can be found at your local library or used bookstore.
If you have a hard time finding them, you can order them through my Amazon affiliate links by clicking the images below.
Leaf Man – Fall has come, the wind is gusting, and Leaf Man is on the move. Is he drifting east, over the marsh and ducks and geese? Or is he heading west, above the orchards, prairie meadows, and spotted cows? No one’s quite sure, but this much is certain: A Leaf Man’s got to go where the wind blows.
Leaves – Bear is surprised when the leaves start falling off the trees, but when he tries to reattach them, it doesn’t work. Eventually, he gets sleepy, and burrows into the fallen leaves for a long nap. When he wakes up, it’s spring-and there are suddenly brand-new leaves all around, seeming to welcome him.
Fletcher and the Falling Leaves – As the leaves fall from his favorite tree, Fletcher worries that something is terribly wrong. But then winter comes, and with it a wonderful surprise.