This post may contain affiliate links.
Dinosaurs are pretty fascinating, aren’t they? My middle son was enthralled with all things dinosaur when he was a preschooler. We gathered books, puzzles, and plastic dinosaurs galore!
Whether he was trying to name them, memorize facts about them, or just using his imagination playing with his dinosaurs, he would be engaged for hours.
If you have a preschooler that is just as interested in dinosaurs, why not take that interest and turn it into a dinosaur preschool theme in your homeschool! Incorporate what your kids love into their lessons, and you’ll be well on your way to creating a life-long learner!
Dinosaur Preschool Theme
You can incorporate multiple areas of learning into your unit study with a dinosaur theme. The activities below include math, literacy, science, arts & crafts, and more! How will you ever choose where to start?
- Dinosaur Counting Dominoes | Kids will love this twist on a classic game. Count the spines on the dinosaurs’ backs as they play dominoes.
- Dinosaur Shapes and Colors | Print out the game boards and instructions, and your little ones will have so much fun they won’t know they’re learning!
- Dinosaur Number Maze | This is a great outdoor activity that will help preschoolers work on number recognition and number order. Or, you could print out these dinosaur number mazes for the preschoolers to do indoors.
- Dinosaur Counting Grid Game | This grid game will have kids practicing counting from 1 – 20.
- Clothespin Dinosaurs | Print out some numbered dinosaurs and clip the correct number of mini clothespins to their packs.
- Dinosaur Alphabet Mazes | Similar to the number mazes above, this activity will help preschoolers focus on letter identification and letter order.
- Spelling Practice Activity | Excavating letter tiles to spell out spelling words will have kids begging to practice their spelling words.
- D is for Dinosaur | Kids will love turning the letter D into a one-of-a-kind dinosaur.
- Dinosaur Emergent Reader | This dinosaur emergent reader is fun for kids to read, color, and share with others.
- Dinosaur Letter Tracing | Here’s a great busy bag that encourages kids to practice letter formation, letter recognition, and letter sounds without actually writing anything.
- Hatching Baking Soda Dinosaur Eggs | Add a little chemistry to your homeschool day with this fun baking soda and vinegar activity!
- Frozen Dinosaur Eggs Icy Excavation | Frozen icy dinosaur eggs are sure to be a hit as you add this simple science activity to your dinosaur lessons.
- Dinosaur Dig Excavation Activity | With two ingredients and some warm weather, kids can excavate some dinosaurs just like an archeologist.
- Dinosaur Skeletons | Save your empty cardboard tubes. Then, use them construct a dinosaur skeleton.
- Make a Dinosaur Tooth | Help your little ones create a mold, and then use it to make a plaster dinosaur tooth.
- Dinosaur Playdough | This invitation to play includes sand dough, plastic dinosaurs, plastic trees, pebbles, driftwood, and more.
- Dinosaur Sensory Bin | I am in love with this amazing set up! Even if you can’t be this elaborate with yours, kids will love exploring a dinosaur-themed sensory bin.
- Dinosaur Oobleck | I love oobleck! It’s such an amazing sensory activity as it goes from a solid to a liquid state and back again. Throw in some dinosaurs and nature items, and preschoolers can have hours of fun.
- Sensory Play with Dinosaurs | This is a great activity for little fingers to explore. It contains multiple sensory materials and, of course, plastic dinosaurs.
- Dinosaur Sensory Bin | This easy sensory bin will keep kids occupied for hours!
Dinosaur Arts & Crafts
- Dinosaur Handprint Art | Handprint art is my favorite to do with little ones. Not only is it fun for preschoolers, but they make great keepsakes, too. Try this dinosaur handprint art with your little ones.
- Dinosaur Soap | This homemade soap is just the thing you need to encourage little boys to wash their hands!
- DIY Salt Dough Dinosaur Fossils | Kids will love helping to make a batch of salt dough. Once it’s ready, they can make their own dinosaur fossils.
- Easy DIY Dinosaur Feet | With this tutorial, kids can turn old tissue boxes into dinosaur feet. Then, they’ll be stomp stomping around like dinosaurs.
- DIY Paper Dinosaur Hat | Kids will work on their fine motor skills while building their very own paper dinosaur hat. Combine this hat with the feet above, and your kids can let their imaginations run wild!
Dinosaur Hands-On Activities
- Build a Dinosaur | I love these colorful dinosaurs, and the “My Dinosaur” journaling page is a great place for preschoolers to record information about their creations.
- Dinosaur Egg Matching Quiet Activity | These felt eggs will keep little ones busy as they match the same colored tops and bottoms.
- Build a Dinosaur (#2) | Use construction paper or craft foam shapes to build dinosaurs.
- Roll a Dinosaur Movement Game | Help your little ones burn off some pent up energy by rolling the dice and moving like various dinosaurs.
- Dino Slime | If you’ve got kids who enjoy making and playing with slime, they’ll love combining a batch of slime with their favorite toy dinosaurs.
- Dinosaur Matching Cards and Coloring Pages | These pages are designed to use alongside My Visit to the Dinosaurs by Aliki. But, they can be used on their own, as well.
- Dinosaur Matching Game for Toddlers | Here’s a fun dinosaur-themed activity that focuses on colors and color words.
- Dinosaur Preschool Printable Pack | This preschool pack contains activities that focus on math, literacy, and hands-on learning.
- Dinosaur Early Learning Pack | This pack is designed for kids ages 2-7.
- Dinosaur Pom Pom Mats | Kids can focus on colors, motor skills, and one-to-one correspondence as they fill up each of these pom pom mats.
With so many amazing dinosaur preschool theme activities, where will you start?
Latest posts by Homeschool Preschool (see all)
- 17 Scrumptious Books About Strawberries - March 16, 2018
- 20 Calendar Time Activities for Kindergarten and Preschool - March 15, 2018
- How to Make Easter Peeps Graham Cracker Snacks for Kids - March 14, 2018