This post may contain affiliate links.
The American Bald Eagle is the national bird of the United States. We seem to give him special attention during patriotic holidays like Memorial Day and the Fourth of July.
To help kids learn more about him, here’s a fun bald eagle craft that your kids will want to display all summer long. Younger preschoolers may need some help with it, but your older one will have a ball trying to create their own bald eagle!
Bald Eagle Craft
• Toilet Paper Tubes
• Hot Glue
Step 1: Begin by folding your yellow foam paper in half. On the fold, cut out the shape of bird feet. Use the scraps to create small triangle beaks.
Step 2: Cut the ends of a popsicle stick off. Keep them about 1 inch long. Glue your bird’s feet onto the popsicle stick. This will help weigh down your toilet paper tube and give it a bit of stability.
Step 3: Glue your bird’s feet to your toilet paper tube.
Step 4: Cut a long strip of brown felt a little more than half the height of your toilet paper tube. Wrap the felt around the bottom of your toilet paper tube and secure with glue on the back. Follow this step with your white felt. Trim off any excess felt from the top with scissors.
Step 5: Cut wing shapes out of your brown felt. They don’t need to be perfect! Glue your wings onto the brown portion of your toilet paper tube.
Step 6: Take your birds beak and fold it in half and pinch it on the bend tightly. You want to create a 3D beak. Glue your birds beak into place.
Step 7: Glue google eyes above your bird’s beak. Your bald eagle is finished and looking mighty fearless!
Now, he’s done, and you can put him on display with the rest of your holiday decor!
If this craft inspired your kids to learn more about the bald eagle, here are some books to read with them. You should be able to find them at your local library. If not, you can purchase them on Amazon by clicking the images below.
• Eagle in the Sky – Have you ever dreamed of flying? In this interactive adventure, you experience life from an eagle’s point of view. Flap your wings. Gobble down fish. Make important life choices. This entertaining and educational story encourages movement and decision-making while taking you through an eagle’s life cycle, from hatching to having a baby bald eagle of your own!
• Soaring with the Wind – A majestic bird swoops down, snatches its prey, then soars into the clouds. It is a bald eagle, one of North America’s largest hunting birds.
• The Bald Eagle – This strong and beautiful bird is a symbol for an entire country. It is the bald eagle, and Americans made it their national emblem more than 200 years ago. Join Bill the bird keeper to see how this bird lives and how it became a symbol of the United States.
Latest posts by Homeschool Preschool (see all)
- Apple Theme Task Cards for Young Writers - July 21, 2018
- Preschool Activity Calendar for August - July 20, 2018
- 20+ Science Activities for Your Apples Preschool Theme - July 19, 2018