This post may contain affiliate links.
Even young crafters can make this 3D paper nativity craft this Christmas season. Perfect for preschoolers, Sunday School classes, and homeschool groups.
I love finding new and unique Christmas activities to do with preschoolers. This nativity craft is fun, because it’s 3-dimensional. As you and your preschoolers add the pieces, you can review the story of Jesus’s birth.
With each individual piece being prominent on the page, preschoolers will have an easy time retelling the story themselves as they touch each piece.
3D Nativity Craft
You don’t need much to get started with this craft. Just a printer, glue, and something to color with. Cutting out the strips is a great fine motor activity that will help little ones build the muscles in their hands.
Lining up the strips to glue them on the page is also a good hand eye coordination activity. So, kids can build important skills while tucking away Jesus seeds in their heart.
What You’ll Need
• template (scroll down to download the template)
• crayons, markers, or colored pencils
• glue stick
What You’ll Do
Start by printing the nativity craft template, and trim it to size. Color the stars and moon.
Color the strips on the other templates. The first four rectangles will be used to make the manger. The other strips will be Joseph, Mary, Jesus, and an angel. You can add cute faces if you wish.
Cut out each paper strip on the solid lines.
Use the glue stick to glue Baby Jesus on Mary.
Fold the ends of each paper strip backwards on the dotted lines.
Use the guides on the background template to place each of the paper strips.
Use the glue stick to adhere each end. The paper strips will arch creating the 3D effect.
Your 3D nativity is now complete. Kids can display them or give them to a loved one for a handmade Christmas gift.
Enhance Your Nativity Activities
Most of these items can be found locally. If you have a hard time finding them, you can order them on Amazon by clicking the images below.
Books About the Nativity
• The Christmas Story – This Little Golden Books retelling features simple but poetic text that invites children to hear the story of Jesus’ birth in a stable in Bethlehem.
• The First Christmas: Lift-a-Pop Board Book – Share the story of the first Christmas with your little one! This Lift-a-POP book features pop-ups enclosed within lift-a-flaps. Sturdy board construction resists rips and tears.
• Lift the Flap Nativity – Lift the Flap Nativity helps children understand the true message of Christmas—the good news that God so loved the world, he sent us his only son.
Download Your Nativity Craft Template.
This nativity craft template is free for Homeschool Preschool email subscribers. You may unsubscribe at any time. If you are already a subscriber, just use the email address that you are already subscribed with in the form below.