If you give a mouse a cookie, he’ll want a glass of milk… and so the story goes.
I absolutely love Laura Numeroff’s picture books. The whole series is a fun collection of cause and effect stories.
Kids love these books, too. They’re just plain silly. They love trying to predict what’s going to happen next.
The first in the series is If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, and I’ve created a fun printable to go along with it. In addition, I’ve rounded up a collection of hands-on activities your preschoolers will enjoy.
If You Give A Mouse A Cookie
If a hungry little mouse shows up on your doorstep, you might want to give him a cookie. And if you give him a cookie, he’ll ask for a glass of milk. He’ll want to look in a mirror to make sure he doesn’t have a milk mustache, and then he’ll ask for a pair of scissors to give himself a trim….
This book is a great first introduction to Mouse, the star of the If You Give… series and a perennial favorite among children. With its spare, rhythmic text and circular tale, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie is perfect for beginning readers and story time!
5 Fun Hands-On Activities!
- Enchanted Homeschool Mom has created an awesome sensory bin based on this picture book. Little ones will love acting out the story as they dig and pour and write.
- Preschoolers can practice their counting skills with these counting mats from Raising Little Superheroes and a box of Cookie Crisp cereal.
- Crafty little ones will love painting their own chocolate chip cookie like this one at A Little Pinch of Perfect. She even has some free printables based on the story.
- Your kiddos will flip for this fun counting game from Toddler Approved made with plastic lids or construction paper circles.
- This mouse craft from No Time for Flashcards is easy enough for tots and preschoolers!
More Laura Numeroff Books
If You Give A Mouse A Cookie Printable
Preschoolers will love working on these fun activities after you’ve read If You Give a Mouse a Cookie to them a time or two… or a hundred.
In this learning pack, you’ll find the following activities:
- Counting practice: There are a few different counting pages in this pack for different levels of learning fun.
- Letter hunts: There are also a few letter hunt pages.
- Label it: With your help (or on their own), kids will read the labels and glue them under the appropriate picture.
- Handwriting practice: Preschoolers will practice writing C and M and words from the story.
- Beginning sounds: There’s a set of clip cards that focus on beginning sounds and featuring images from the story.
- and more…
Get your preschool learning pack.