This post may contain affiliate links.
Vroom! Vroom! Crash! Boom! Bang! Chug-a-chug-a-choo-choo!
Kids love things that go. Trucks, trains, planes. These topics seem to be pretty popular with both boys and girls in the preschool years. Their playtime can get pretty imaginative when they’ve got various modes of transportation to play with.
That makes modes of transportation a fun topic to incorporate into your homeschool preschool lessons. In today’s thematic unit, we’ll explore various types of transportation with hands-on activities, arts and crafts, snacks, books, and more.
Preschool Transportation Activities and More
The transportation-themed activities I’m sharing cover a variety of homeschool preschool subjects, concepts, and skills. You don’t have to do them all. Pick and choose the ones that target skills you’re working on or will most interest your preschoolers.
Transportation-Themed Books for Preschoolers
I always start my unit studies with a great book. Every day, I choose a new one. I like to fill our book baskets with books that tie in to our current theme, as well. Below is a peek at some of our favorite books to get you started. Click on the images to learn more about each one.
In the Transportation Preschool Printable I’m sharing below, you’ll find a more comprehensive list with 15 books on it. Print that list out and take it to the library as you fill your book basket.
Your young learners will have so much fun working on their math skills with the printable activity pages below. They include:
- counting clip cards,
- counting practice pages,
- graphing practice
- and more.
Transportation Videos for Kids
I love Laurie Berkner’s songs! She’s got songs for all different themes and occasions. This airplane song will have your kids moving – fast and slow – around the room. It’s perfect for a transportation themed unit!
More Transportation Videos
Transportation Themed Hands-On Activities
- Counting with Toy Trains from School Time Snippets
- Learning Shapes with Toy Cars from Adventures of Adam
- Coal and Water Sensory Bin from Play-Trains
- Fine Motor Toy Car Wash from The Inspired Treehouse
- LEGO Balloon Cars from Little Bins for Little Hands
Transportation Themed Arts and Crafts
- Paper Plate Cars from Glued to My Crafts
- Sponge Painted Train from Buggy and Buddy
- Cupcake Liner Hot Air Balloon from I Heart Crafty Things
- The Little Engine That Could STEAM Activity from Sugar Spice and Glitter
- Straw Rockets from Buggy and Buddy
Transportation Themed Literacy Activities
Your preschoolers will enjoy building their literacy skills with the printable activity pages below. They include:
- beginning sounds,
- letter identification,
- short story,
- and more.
Transportation Themed Snacks
- Train-Themed Snack for Kids from Toddler Approved
- Twinkie Submarine Snacks from Kids Activities Blog
- Crunchy Apple Boats from Childhood 101
- Fruit Rockets from Chieu Anh Urban
- Bagel Bite Boats from Mom Wife Busy Life
Transportation Themed Learning Resources
Click on the images to learn more about each resource featured.
More Activities for Teaching the Letter “T”
This is a great time to teach or reinforce the Letter T and its beginning sound. The activity pages in the printable below contain the following:
- words that begin with “t”,
- tracing page,
- a maze,
- a mini “letter T” book,
- a reading challenge,
- and more!
Get your printables.
Latest posts by Tara Mitchell (see all)
- An Amazing Collection of Easy Easter Crafts for Kids - March 24, 2017
- 18 of Our Favorite Children’s Books About Bunnies - March 23, 2017
- Easter Snack for Kids: Jelly Bean Tic Tac Toe - March 21, 2017