This post may contain affiliate links.
I have always loved monkeys. They’re funny little creatures, aren’t they?
They’re so fun to watch at the zoo, and they’re usually pretty rambunctious in books and movies. They make a great topic for a preschool unit study!
So, I’m excited to share this monkey-themed unit study for your preschoolers. With the activities I’ve shared below, you’ll have enough monkey activities to last you a whole week – maybe longer! And, you can extend your lessons by focusing on the letter “M” and other words that begin with the same sound.
Be sure you scroll all the way to the end of this post to download the 35-page learning pack I created just for you and your preschoolers!
Preschool Monkey Activities
The resources I share below cover a variety of homeschool preschool subjects, concepts, and skills. Don’t feel as if you need to do them all. Pick and choose the ones that target skills you are currently working on or ones that will most interest your preschoolers.
Preschool Books About Monkeys
I love starting my unit studies with good books. Each day of the study, I choose a different picture book to read. I like to fill our book baskets with books that tie in to our current theme, as well. Below is just a peek at some of our favorite books to get you started. Click on the images to learn more about each one.
In the Monkey Preschool Printable I’m sharing below, you’ll find a more comprehensive list with 15 books on it. Print that list out and take it to the library as you fill your book basket.
Your preschoolers will have so much fun practicing their counting with the printable activity pages below. They include:
- counting mats,
- clip cards,
- size sorting,
- and more.
Monkey Videos for Kids
Kids can’t help but sing along with these silly monkeys as they collect and count bananas in the jungle! Let them act out the song as the monkeys sing. Then, have them practice counting to 20 with the monkeys.
More Monkey Videos for Kids
Monkey Around with Hands-On Activities
- Printables Puppets: Five Cheeky Monkeys…and a Crocodile from Picklebums
- Feed the Monkey Learning Activity from Teaching Talking (look on the right for the activity)
- Monkey Business Sensory Bin from Jada Roo…
- Five Little Monkeys Fine Motor Play from School Time Snippets
Monkey Arts and Crafts
- Paper Plate Monkey Craft from Crafty Morning
- Another Paper Plate Monkey from Easy Peasy and Fun
- Handprint Monkey Card from Crafty Morning
- Paper Bag Monkey Craft from I Heart Crafty Things
- K Cup Monkey Craft from Artsy Momma
Monkey-Themed Literacy Activities
Your preschoolers will enjoy working on their literacy skills with the printable activity pages below. They include:
- a letter “M” hunt,
- easy reader story,
- handwriting practice,
- a color and trace page,
- and more.
Monkey-Themed Snacks and Treats
- Chunky Monkey Milkshake from Wonder Mom Wannabe
- Monkey Bread from Family Fun Journal
- Chunky Monkey Frozen Yogurt Bites from Mama Papa Bubba
- Monkey Salad from See Vanessa Craft
Learning Resources for Your Monkey Unit Study
Click on the images to learn more about each resource featured.
More Activities for Teaching the Letter “M”
This is a great time to teach or reinforce the Letter M and its beginning sound. The activity pages in the printable below contain the following:
- words that begin with “m”,
- tracing page,
- a maze,
- a mini “letter M” book,
- a reading challenge,
- and more!
Get your printables.
Latest posts by Homeschool Preschool (see all)
- Patriotic Printable Pack for Tots and Preschoolers - May 29, 2017
- 20 Ways to Play and Learn with Pool Noodles - May 25, 2017
- Teach Kindness with a Kindness Jar - May 24, 2017