This post may contain affiliate links.
Summer is a great time to learn about the ocean. Many families are making plans to visit a beach for their summer vacation. Other, like me, are just dreaming about it.
Whether you’re dreaming about the ocean or planning to make a trip to one, your little ones will love creating this fun ocean animals from egg cartons.
Egg Carton Ocean Animals
Typically, we buy eggs in styrofoam cartons, but recently, hubby brought home a cardboard egg carton. Then, my five year old nephew came for a visit. I brainstormed for an idea to entertain Isaiah one afternoon, and we came up with egg carton ocean animals. We had almost all the supplies on hand, and he asked repeatedly to get started.
What you’ll need:
- cardboard egg carton
- paint brushes
- googly eyes
- pipe cleaners
- constructions paper
- buttons, beads, and pom poms
I scoured Pinterest for inspiration, and then I drew the animals parts free-handed. I wasn’t too worried about the outcome of each animal as long as Isaiah was having fun. And, he did! He worked for hours over the course of a few days to make his creatures (pictured below).
A few tips…
- I cut apart the egg carton before having Isaiah paint the cups.
- After the cups were dry, I trimmed some of them to take off the rougher edges.
- We discovered that liquid glue works better than glue sticks.
- Isaiah loved the self-adhesive googly eyes instead of gluing them on.
Fun printables for multiple ages include:
- Beach Letter Find Printables
- Beach Scavenger Hunt Printables
- At the Beach Emergent Reader
- Sand Pail and Shovel Alphabet Match
- Beach Letter Dot Printables
- Printable Beach Bingo Cards
- Beach Pail 1-20 Number Recognition
Fun ocean-themed books:
Other fun ocean-themed activities:
- Songs About the Beach
- 5 Ways to Learn at the Beach
- Colorful Sand Painting
- Sand Science Experiment
- 15 Things to Do at the Beach with Kids
- Beach Mystery Bag
More unit study fun:
Latest posts by Homeschool Preschool (see all)
- Preschool Writing Prompts: I Can Write About Space - May 22, 2017
- Easy DIY Fathers Day Craft That Kids Can Make - May 19, 2017
- 20+ Engaging Summer Books for Preschoolers - May 17, 2017